This sweet and spicy pineapple chutney recipe uses fresh pineapple, warm spices, aromatics, and a touch of chili. Perfect to pair with meats, seafood, cheese platter, or on a charcuterie board.
Cooked right on the stovetop and fills an 8oz mason jar.
Fresh Pineapple Recipes
Pineapple Topping For Cheesecake
Easy Pineapple BBQ Sauce Recipe
Ingredients and Substitutions
Fresh sweet pineapple, especially in season will add a great flavor and texture to the chutney. Cut your pineapple into chunks or your preference of small pieces.
Frozen and canned pineapple can be used as a substitute.
Want to know more about fresh pineapples? Picking, cutting, and how long they last in the fridge.
Taste your pineapple and add sweetness to taste. I used brown sugar for a darker color and deeper flavor. Substitute white sugar, honey, or maple syrup if you prefer.
Adding aromatics is a great way to a savory flavor. I used fresh minced red onion, garlic, and ginger. Tailor it to your preference, ground powders can be substituted. Minced red pepper or jalapeños can be added as well.
Spices like cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, and mixed spice add warm and smoky undertones of flavor. When it’s cooked with aromatics in oil or butter, the taste really comes through.
Mixed spice is a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. You might have pumpkin spice in your spice pantry, it would work perfectly. Check out how to make mixed spice, with only five ingredients.
Vinegar, Lemon, or Lime Juice - For a tangy flavor with an acidic liquid to balance out the sweetness add a touch of apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, or white wine vinegar.
Dried Fruit - If you want to add extra flavor and texture dried fruits is the way to go. Dried raisins, golden raisins, currants, cherries, or apricots would be great additions.
Spices - Additional amazing spices to add would be ground turmeric, curry powder, cardamon, fennel seeds, and mustard powder.
Chili Peppers - If you want a spicy pineapple chutney add hot peppers like jalapeno, habanero, or scotch bonnet peppers.
Rum - A small cap full of white or golden rum will add a Caribbean flavor and aroma.
How To Serve Pineapple Chutney
This pineapple chutney can be served warm or room temperate on cooked meat or seafood.
One of my favorite ways is as an appetizer spread on a cheese plate or charcuterie board. Grab your favorite cracker add cream cheese, white cheddar, or sour cream and top with your delicious homemade pineapple chutney.
Make Ahead and Storage
Make this chutney up to 2 days ahead of time and stored it in the refrigerator. In an airtight container or glass jar for up to a week.
Step by Step Photos and Directions
- Grab all your prepped ingredients. Fresh pineapple, red onion, ginger, garlic, cumin or coriander, mixed spice, chili flakes, brown sugar, salt, and butter.
2. In a saucepan on low to medium heat, melt the butter or oil, for about 30 seconds. Add garlic, ginger, and onion and mix. Mix and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
3. Add cumin or coriander, chili flakes, mixed spice and salt. Mix and cook for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add brown sugar. Mix and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add chopped pineapple and mix.
6. Simmer on medium heat uncovered for about 5-7 minutes.
7. The pineapple should be soft and the sauce thickened.
8. Let cool and place in an airtight container or jar. Perfect on a cheese platter or charcuterie board.
Easy Pineapple Chutney Recipe
- Measuring Tools
- Cutting Board and Knife
- Cooking Spoon or Spatula
- Airtight Storage Container or Jar
- 1 ¾ cup Fresh Pineapple chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon Red Onion minced or finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Garlic minced or finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Fresh Ginger minced or finely chopped
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin or Coriander
- ⅓ teaspoon Chili Flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Mixed Spice or Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2-3 tablespoon Brown Sugar or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Butter or Oil
- Water and Salt if needed
- Place saucepan on stove at a low - medium heat.
- Add butter or oil, melt for 30 seconds.
- Add garlic, ginger, and onion and mix. Mix and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add cumin or coriander, chili flakes, mixed spice and salt. Mix and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add brown sugar. Mix and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chopped pineapple and mix. Simmer on medium heat uncovered for about 5-7 minutes. Until the pineapple is soft and the sauce is thick.
- Let cool and place in an airtight container or jar. Store in the refrigerator. Enjoy.
Leave a Reply