Storing fresh or canned pineapple in the fridge is the best way to extend this tropical fruit's shelf life. It can last up to seven days in the fridge, depending on the storage method.
Fresh Pineapple Recipes
Pineapple Topping For Cheesecake
Easy Pineapple BBQ Sauce Recipe
Does Pineapple Need To Be Refrigerated?
A whole uncut fresh pineapple can last about 2-4 days at room temperature depending on the ripeness. But cut and open cans of pineapple need to be refrigerated for peak freshness and food safety.
How Long Does Cut Pineapple Last At Room Temperature?
Cut pineapple already at room temperature should not be left out for more than 2 hours. Chilled pineapple can last about 3 hours at room temperature, it’s best to keep it cold on ice.
Buying a fresh pineapple during peak season from the grocery store is an amazing way to eat this sweet, juicy, and golden-yellow fruit.
Pineapple season is during the months of March to July. Choose one that has a sweet fruity smell and bright yellow hue.
How Long Does Sliced Pineapple Last In The Fridge?
Sliced pineapple can last up to five to seven days in the fridge if stored in a covered airtight container, resealable plastic freezer bag, or reusable sealable silicone food storage bags.
If you need a longer storage option, store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
How To Tell If Pineapple Is Spoiled?
Spoiled pineapple will have a sour smell, brown spots, or white fuzzy mold. Discard it don’t put your health at risk with possible food poisoning.
How To Cut A Fresh Pineapple?
Cut and prep a delicious fresh pineapple in three easy steps.
- Rinse and remove the top, bottom, and exterior skin of the pineapple.
2. Cut into four pieces and remove the core.
3. Cut into your desired size and shape.
4. Storage in an airtight container and place right into the refrigerator.
The most convenient and economical way to enjoy this tropical fruit is to buy canned pineapple. It can be enjoyed all year round and stored right in your pantry.
Best Buy vs Expiration Date
Unopened cans of pineapple can last up to 1-2 years after its best-by date. It’s a common misconception that the date on the can is an expiration date, most times it’s a best-by date.
The best-by date is the date to consume it for peak quality and freshness.
Make sure the can is not rusting, bulging, leaking, or dented if it is, discard it.
Flavor and Texture
Canned pineapple goes through a heating process for it to be shelf stable. They are picked fresh, processed, and stored in liquid to be canned, which can affect the texture, color, and flavor.
Brands and manufacturers offer so many options, from crushed, tidbits, and rings, stored in pineapple juice or sweetened syrup. Which makes it so convenient to enjoy pineapple right out of the can or in recipes.
How To Store Canned Pineapple After Opening It?
After you have opened the can of pineapple, store it in a plastic or glass airtight container, jar, or plastic bag, in its juice or syrup for best storage, in the fridge. The liquid helps extend the storage time and keeps it nice and juicy.
Do not store it in the metal can for optimal food safety. Check out the USDA guidelines.
How Long Does Canned Pineapple Last In The Fridge?
Once you have properly stored your leftover pineapple, it can last up to seven days in the refrigerator.
How To Tell if Canned Pineapple is Bad?
Pineapple going bad will have an off smell, a mushy texture, and possible moldy white or green spots.
If you want to extend its shelf life before it spoils place them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
How To Store Pineapple In The Fridge
- Pineapple Fresh or Canned
- Cutting Board
- Storage Container
- 1 Pineapple Fresh or Canned
Fresh Whole Pineapple
- Place it whole uncut, right into the fridge. It can last up to a week depending on the ripeness.
Fresh Cut Pineapple
- Cut fresh pineapple into desired size or shape. See blog post for details.
- Place pineapple in an a covered airtight container, resealable plastic freezer bag, or reusable sealable silicone food storage bags.
- Store in the refrigerator for 5- 7 days.
- Check the best by or use by date.
- Open the can of pineapple. If stored in syrup or juice, strain it.
- Cut into desired size or shapes. Place into a covered airtight container with the juice or syrup.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Leave a Reply