All the flavors of a classic New York cheesecake in a jar, baked right in the oven. Using only one block of cream cheese to make an amazing single-serve dessert and a great edible food gift.
Easy Sweet Recipes You'll Love
Pink Chocolate Covered Strawberries with Strawberry Crunch Topping
Strawberry Fudge with Shortcake Topping - 4 Ingredients
2 Ingredients Dessert Toppings with Sweetened Condensed Milk
Ice Cream Sundae Bar (Dessert Charcuterie Board)Slow Cooker Chocolate Dump Cake
What does New York cheesecake taste like?
New York Style Cheesecake is creamy, dense, rich, with a smooth distinct flavor. This recipe is baked in mini mason jars with a shortbread crust and an amazing cream cheese filling.
Mason Jar Cheesecake
Baking your cheesecake in a mini mason jar makes it easy to portion, store, and serve these decent delights. You’ll bake the cheesecake in mini 4oz canning mason jar on a pretty low heat in a water bath. After baking and refrigeration, you can top each with a flavorful topping of your choice and decorate each jar. So delicious, versatile, and fun.
How to bake with mason jars in the oven?
First, you want to make sure you are using water bath glass canning jars. Oven at a low temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit or less. Placing your mason jars in a water bath about ⅔ the way up the mason jar. No dry baking without water and bake without a canning lid.
20 Mini Cheesecake Topping List
These mini mason jar cheesecakes can be individually topped with all your favorites. You can also make an amazing topping bar for a special party or event.
- Whipped Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Fresh Fruits
- Homemade Fruit Toppings, Compotes, or Glaze
- Fruit Jams and Jellys
- Canned Fruit Toppings or Filling
- Caramel Sauce/ Dulce De Leche
- Chocolate Sauce
- Shaved Chocolate or Mini Chocolate Chips
- Spoonful of Peanut Butter or Peanut Butter Chips
- Lemon Curd or Lemon Zest
- Spice Mixture Blends - Cinnamon, Nutmeg, etc
- Crushed Cookies
- Crushed Cereals
- Candy or Toffee Pieces
- Pretzels or Crushed Potato Chips
- Honey or Maple Syrup
Shortbread Cookies - I used about 2 bars or fingers of Walkers Scottish Shortbread.
Cream Cheese - Philadelphia brand cream cheese is my go-to for cheesecake. Make sure it’s room temp to prevent lumps in your batter
Butter - I used unsalted and softened to room temp.
White Sugar - I used plain refined white sugar.
Sour Cream - Daisy brand cream cheese is one of my favorites.
Heavy Cream - Adds an extra layer of richness.
Egg - A medium or large will work well in this recipe.
Cornstarch - Used to thicken and absorb the liquids in the cheesecake filling.
Vanilla Extract - Homemade or high quality.
Lemon Juice - Freshly squeezed is best. Adds an amazing fresh flavor to the cheesecake filling
How to Bake Cheesecake Jars
- Start with Crust - Crush the shortbread cookies. Prep butter and sugar.
2. Place crumbs, sugar, and butter into a small bowl. Mix and set aside.
3. Fill each mason jar with crust mixture. Using a tablespoon measure.
4. Cheesecake Filling- In a mixing bowl add softened cream cheese, sugar, cornstarch, and egg. Mix well with a whisk trying not to overmix or incorporate too much air into the mixture.
5. Add the sour cream, heavy cream, lemon juice, and vanilla. Mix with a whisk or fold with a rubber spatula.
6. Using a ⅓ measuring cup, pour the cream cheese filling into your prepared mini mason jars.
7. Place a kitchen towel on your counter. Try to remove air bubbles from the filling by lightly tapping them on your kitchen towel.
8. Set up the water bath and carefully place into the oven to bake.
9. Remove from oven and fully cool. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight is best.
10. Serve Chilled with your favorite toppings. Enjoy
Amazing Strawberry Recipes
Fresh Strawberry Sauce Topping
Strawberry Shortcake Crunch Topping - No-Bake Recipe
Pink Chocolate Covered Strawberries - 2 Ways
The Best Strawberry Banana Milkshake
FAQ & Tips
1. How to know when the mini cheesecakes are done?
Use the jiggle method, lightly shake one of the mini cheesecakes with oven gloves. You will see a very slight jiggle in the middle, it’s perfect.
2. How to store mini cheesecake after baking?
After baking make sure your mini cheesecakes cool completely for about an hour. Place your lid and refrigerate for 4 hours or preferably overnight.
3. Can you make mini mason jar cheesecakes ahead of time?
Mini mason jar cheesecake is the perfect make ahead dessert. After they are baked, they can be stored in the fridge or freezer. If using a flavorful topping, put it on right before serving.
4. How long do mini cheesecakes last in the fridge?
Mini cheesecake should be stored in the refrigerator and last anywhere from 4 to 5 days.
5. How long do mini cheesecakes last in the freezer?
Mini cheesecakes can be frozen for up to three months. Using mini mason jars is such a convenient individual storage method. To defrost, remove from the freezer place in the fridge overnight or 24 hours for best results.
6. Does mini mason jar cheesecakes make a great food gift idea?
If you want to give a delicious and decadent food gift, this one is perfect. Mason jars are so cute, easy to decorate and give. After the cheesecake has been eaten these mason jars can be used around the home to store items or ingredients.
7. What can I use to decorate the mini mason jars?
You can decorate these mini mason jars for any occasion. Use colorful pattern paper, tags, ribbon, twine, fabric, stickers, or flowers.
New York Cheesecake In Jars
- 4 4oz Glass Canning Mason Jars
- Mixing Bowls
- Rubber spatula
- Rolling Pin or Mallet
- Plastic Zip Bag
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Kettle or Pot to boil water
- 8x8 square metal baking pan
- Kitchen Towels
- Oven Mitts or Gloves
- ⅓ cup Shortbread Cookie Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Butter, Softened or Melted
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 8oz Brick of Cream Cheese, Softened & Room Temp
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Sour Cream, Room Temperature
- 2 tablespoon Heavy Cream, Room Temperature
- 1 Medium Egg, Room Temperature
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice, Freshly Squeezed
- In a small bowl add your crushed or crumbled shortbread crumbs, sugar, and butter. Mix well.
- Place about a tablespoon of your crust mixture evenly into your mini mason jars. Set aside.
Cream Cheese Filling
- In another mixing bowl add softened cream cheese, sugar, cornstarch, and egg. Mix well with whisk trying not to overmix or incorporate too much air into the mixture.
- Add the sour cream, heavy cream, lemon juice, and vanilla. Mix with whisk or fold with a rubber spatula.
Assemble & Bake
- Using a ⅓ measuring cup, pour the cream cheese filling into your prepared mini mason jars.
- Place a kitchen towel on your counter. Try to remove air bubbles from the filling by lightly tapping them on your kitchen towel.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour your hot water into your metal baking dish about a third way up about 1-2 inches.
- Carefully place your filled mini mason jars into the hot water bath. Place into the oven.
- Bake for 28-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and water bath.
- Fully cool your mini mason jar cheesecakes for about an hour.
- Place your storage lids on the mason jars and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight is best.
- Serve chilled. You can also serve it with your favorite toppings.
Leave a Reply