Let's be honest, those small corned beef spice packets that come in the meat bag at the grocery store are not enough.
Add extra flavor to your slow cooker corned beef for St. Patrick’s Day dinner or when making corned beef sandwiches.
This corned beef seasoning blend recipe has only 5 ingredients and takes 5 minutes to put together. No Toasting and No Blending.
Corned Beef Recipes
Deli-Style Corned Beef in Slow Cooker
Easy Refrigerator Dill Pickles - One Jar Recipe
Ingredients and Additional Whole Spices
Homemade Corned Beef Spice Packet
This recipe uses whole and dry spices, that you would typically see in the packets :
- Coriander Seeds
- Mustard Seeds
- Black Peppercorns
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Dry Bay Leaves
Additional Whole Spices
Want amazing depth of flavor these spices are great additions to the mix:
- AllSpice Berries or Juniper Berries
- Anise Seed
- Star Anise
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Dill Seeds
- Fennel Seeds
Can You Substitute Ground Spices for Whole Spices When Making Corned Beef Brisket?
In a pinch, you can substitute ground spices when making corned beef brisket, but it’s not ideal. The flavors will be there but the cooking liquid will become darker or murky, depending on the spices you are substituting.
This will turn the corned beef a bit darker on the outside and the inside will still be the traditional pinkish color, it will still be delicious though.
How Much Seasoning Comes In The Packet
The spice packet that comes in the corned beef bag purchased at the grocery store are tiny, less than ⅓ oz about ¾ teaspoon. So adding extra seasoning is recommended.
What To Do With Extra Corned Beef Spice Seasoning?
Corned beef spice seasoning is very similar to traditional pickling seasoning.
This recipe will come in handy when making pickles or pickling garden vegetables during the summer. Tomatoes, green beans, carrots, red onion, cauliflower, peppers, and okra. Check out my easy refrigerator pickles recipe.
If you are making potatoes and cabbage separately for St. Patrick’s dinner and love the flavor of the spice seasoning, add a bit in when cooking the vegetables.
How Long Does Corned Beef Seasoning Last?
Making your own spice blend with whole spices can last up to 2-3 years if stored in an airtight container or spice jar in a cool dry place.
This recipe makes about 4 tablespoons or 4oz of seasoning blend, just enough to come in handy all year long.
Step By Step Photos And Directions
- Grab all your prepped spice. Coriander, black peppercorns, mustard seeds, crushed red pepper flakes and torn bay leaves.
2. Place them into a mixing bowl.
3. Mix Well.
4. Add to a spice jar or airtight container.
5. Store in a cool dry pantry. Enjoy.
Easy Corned Beef Spice Packet Recipe
- Measuring Spoons
- 4oz Mason Jar or Spice Jar
- Small Bowl
- 2 tablespoon Whole Coriander Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Whole Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 Whole Dry Bay Leaves
- With your hands tear the whole dry bay leaves into small pieces. Add it to a small bowl or into your spice jar.
- Add the remaining spices into the bowl or jar. Mix or shake the jar to evenly distribute the spices.
- Store in an airtight container or spice jar in a cool dry pantry.
Leave a Reply