Use your slow cooker to add extra flavor to store-bought corned beef brisket. This deli-style corned beef is perfect for Rueben sandwiches, New York-style deli sandwiches, and Saint Patricks Day dinner.
Want to know? - How To Make A Corned Beef Spice Packet - Only 5 Ingredients.
Check out my ButcherBox review to find the best uncured 100% grass-fed and grass-finished corned beef brisket. It's so good.
How is store bought ready to cook corned beef made?
Store bought ready to cook brisket is pre-brined. Some manufacturers cure the brisket in a brine and some inject it with the brine. Depending on the manufacturer the brine can consist of water, salt, spice blend, and preservatives. These ingredients help retain the color and salty flavor of traditional corned beef.
Point vs Flat Cut Corned Beef
When purchasing your ready to cook corned beef you will see two choices. Flat or Point cut, the flat cut has less fat and the point cut has more fat. Flat cut is most time more expensive, than the Point cut.
What flavors and spices can be added to store bought corned beef?
Using a store bought ready to cook corned beef brisket is such a time saver. Slowing cooking it with the enclosed packet and your choice of extra spices and flavorings will bring it over the top. Making your own extra spice blend or adding a flavorful liquid, will easily add so much flavor.
18 Corned Beef Pickling Spice Blend List
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Whole Cloves
- Anise Seed
- Black Peppercorns
- Sugar (White, Light, or Brown)
- Mustard Seeds
- Bay Leaves
- All Spice Berries
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Dill Seeds
- Fennel Seeds
- Beer (Lager or Guinness)
- Apple Juice or Cider
- Unsalted Broth (Vegetable, Chicken, or Beef)
How long to cook corned beef brisket in the slow cooker or crockpot by the pound?
For every pound, it’s about 2 to 2 ½ hours on low in the slow cooker and on high 60 minutes to 80 minutes. For example, 3lb corned beef would be 6-8 hours on low and 3-4 hours on high. Every slow cooker varies in cooking times, adjust the time for yours.
Step by Step Photos
- Place the spices, flavorings, and one cup of liquid into the slow cooker insert.
2. Place the corned beef brisket with the fat side up to the flavorful liquid.
3. Pour Water to top the brisket until your desired coverage level. See FAQ section.
4. I like the water to fully cover my brisket.
5. Place insert into slow cooker or crockpot base.
6. Choose your desired temperature, low or high.
7. Remove from crockpot and let rest for a minimum of 20 minutes. Cover with parchment and foil.
8. Trim the fat, if you desire. Can enjoy it right away.
9. Wrap in parchment and refrigerate for up to four days.
How to slice deli-style corned beef?
To slice deli-style corned is best against the grain. You can slice it thin, but if you want a New York City deli corned beef sandwich, slice it thick and pile it high. If you would like it thinly sliced, refrigerate and cut chilled. It will be eaiser to cut thinly.
How much corned beef to serve per person?
Corned brisket weight of 3lbs before cooking serves four. After cooking about ½ - ¾ pound per serving. Perfect for a nice size corned beef sandwich. Don't forget to make extra corned beef for leftovers
How long does cooked corned beef last in the refrigerator and freezer?
Can be stored for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Freeze for up to 3 months.
FAQ & Tips
Do I have to rinse my store bought ready to cook corned beef before cooking?
Store bought ready to cook corned beef is very salty. Rinse it or submerging it in cool water a couple of times will help remove some of the saltiness.
How much water is needed for slow cooker corned beef?
When slow cooking corned beef I prefer to fully cover the brisket, but you do not have to. You can also top the brisket with liquid till about ¾ from the bottom. Adding less liquid will make it a bit saltier.
Can you overcook slow cooker corned beef?
When you overcook corned beef it will be very soft, fall apart, and shred too easily. If you want to have nice chunky or thin slices, try your best not to overcook it.
After cooking corned beef how long does it have to rest?
Cover your corned beef with parchment or foil and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
Deli-Style Corned Beef in Slow Cooker
- Slow Cooker or Crockpot
- Measuring Cup and Spoons
- Paper Towels
- Parchment Paper or Foil
- 3 lbs Corned Beef Pre-Corned/Seasoned Flat Cut - Rinsed & Pat Dry
- 1 cup Water or Flavorings plus 4-6 cups to cover Cornbeef Brisket
Spices and Flavorings
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 3 All Spice Berries
- 3 Whole Cloves
- 2 Cardamon Pods
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 inch Fresh Ginger
- ½ stick Cinnamon
- Enclosed Spice Packet
- Rinse and pat dry corned beef brisket. Set aside.
- In slow cooker insert place 1 cup of water and all spices, mix with a whisk.
- Place corned beef brisket in insert and cover with water.
- Place insert in the slow cooker and cover.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove from slow cooker and let rest for a minimum of 20 minutes. Cover with parchment and foil. Can enjoy it right away.
- If you would like it thinly sliced, refrigerate and cut chilled. It will be eaiser to cut thinly.
- To store place in the refrigerator wrapped in parchment. Can be stored for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Leave a Reply